Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sunday, Oct. 25, 2015; Central Park, NY; practice/test hike; 16.4 miles; 3.6 mph

Today I was in New York City. Perfect cool fall day. A few showers in the morning. I decided it would be good for a practice/test hike/walk. I have walked around Central Park before. To get 15 miles I had to walk around it twice! I did it. Here is the report.
 
I left the hotel at 0830. It was forcasted to rain in the morning and discontinue in the afternoon. 60% chance at 0800. As I left the hotel it was a light mist, so I was fine. Once in the park it did rain hard for 20 minutes. I took out my umbrella and kept walking. It was great. I wonder why I haven't carried an umbrella before. I will have one on my Appalachian Trail hike. It was a good test for seeing how hiking with an umbrella worked out.
 
After it stopped raining, the only time it rained, it got warmer and I took off my jacket. I had a nap sack with water, fruit, snacks, ect. It all did good except the bananna I had which was at the bottom. When I took it out after 8 miles it was mush. I just threw it away. The apple was good.
 
The fall colors are beuatiful. Here are a couple pictures. I probably took more pictures than I will in a day on the trail.
 
 
 
 
From my title you can get a pretty good summary. I will be using the same format for every day on the Appalachian Trail. I will be adding the day number on the trail and how many for miles to go plus other items.
 
Today I walked 16.4 miles in 4 hours, 38 minutes. That made an average speed of 3.6 mph. I was hoping to be 4.0 mph or better. It isn't my walking speed, it is the stopping. My speed included the stopping for bath room breaks, picture taking, and drinking. Also the busy streets of NY didn't help any on the way back to the hotel.
 
My legs starting aching at the half way point. They did good all the way with no cramps. I was wearing running shoes. My feet did good. The bottoms were sore by the time I finished, but no blisters. I was as sore as I expected to be, actually probably better than I expected to be.
 
It was very enjoyable today. I am looknig forward to my "Walk in the Woods." Name of current movie out about hiking the Appalachian Trail.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment