Sunday, July 7, 2019

Fri., June 28, 2019. Day 43/99. Crowley Notch, Ripley Falls Trailhead. Trail mileage 1846.3. 44.1672N71.3859W. 14.4 miles. 8 hrs 00 mins. 1.8 mph. 1,286.2 / 905.8 to go.

Another big mileage day, but mostly down hill. That is why the faster speed. It is still a technicality difficult trail which causes the speed to be slower. 

Tyler had parked his car at the end of the trail, which made it easier. Mindy didn’t expect us till later because she thought we were doing more miles today. It was great to get back early afternoon rather than in the evening. We surprised them.

The trail was steep for the first 1/3 to 1/2. After that it was a good mountain dirt trail, except it had some very boggy sections with a lot of bugs. These bugs were miserable, even with deet.

I take breaks every 3 hours. I take off my pack and drink some of my water in the extra water I carry in my pack. In these steep sections this is also the only place I get to eat something. Usually, I snack on my lunch as I walk. I can’t do that in the White Mountains. On my second break, 6 hours, I was beat. We couldn’t find any place that wasn’t bog and bug covered. After about 3 1/2 hours I finally just said I needed to eat something. I am amazed how a rest, drink, and food revitalizes me. The break is usually only about 10 minutes. 

It was good to be back with the family. We had ham, cheese, and pineapple sandwiches for dinner. Very good. Another shower, and game of Phase Ten. I should also mention that every night we read out of the Book of Mormon together.

We went to bed at about 9 pm. It is so good to sleep after hiking all day.

Pictures:

1. Trail shots. Steep and technically difficult.
2. Grouse.
3. Built steps where it is too steep and difficult.
4. Tyler and Monty.

5. End of day crossing rail road tracks.











No comments:

Post a Comment