Sunday, July 7, 2019

Wed., June 26, 2019. Day 41/97. Interstate 93. Lafayette Campground- Tyler. Trail mileage 1818.9. 44.1105N71.6823W. 4.8 miles. 3 hrs 05 mins. 1.5 mph. 1,258.8 / 933.2 to go.

A wonderful day. I got a surprise that was as good, better, than a surprise on Christmas morning. The plan was for me to meet Tyler’s family at Lonesome Lake Hut at 10 am. I left Kinsman Pond Shelter at 7 am. The trail was a good trail and I made good speed. I figured I would be at the hut easily by 9 am, 1 hour before our meeting time. About 1/2 mile before the hut as I came around a corner here came Coltyn right up to me. We almost bumped into each other. I immediately recognized him and his family. Coltyn later said he didn’t at first recognize me. I got a big smile. Riley and Coltyn gave me hugs. It was better than Christmas. It was great. They had climbed 1,700 feet and over 2 miles from Lafayette Campground to meet me. I was impressed. What a great surprise. Like I said, better than Christmas morning. Jocelyn is at girls camp, so she wasn’t there. She will join us in a couple days.

We hiked back to the Lonesome Lake Hut. I checked in with John. His parents were staying there. I introduced Tyler and his family. John gave us all a brownie. That was nice of him.

From the hut we headed to Interstate 93 crossing. It was about 3 miles. The kids were enjoying the hike and left us behind. I slipped when going over a large boulder in the trail and went down. Didn’t hurt, but scrapped the scab off my left knee. I yelled dang, not even ouch. I felt more embarrassed being in front of Tyler and Mindy. I hate falling. I haven’t done it to often, but probably more than I did when I was younger.

After hiking we went back to the camp. They have a great camp. When they set up camp they had a thunderstorm going through. They got very wet. I was sitting in Kinsman Pond Shelter when the thunderstorm passed through. They had put up a extremely large tarp which covered the tent, part of the dining fly, and fire. The tent reminded me of the Kirkhams spring bar tent that we had for the scouts. Tyler said it came from Utah. I am guessing Kirkhams has changed names and it is the same tent. It is very high quality. It will last them for their life time. Their dining fly is also great. With their insect flames the bugs where not a problem. It was enjoyable to sit out. The temperature was in the 70°s.

We had taco salad, which tasted great. Food always tastes good after hiking all day. We then showered. Unfortunately, the water was only warm, but it was great to get three days of sweat and dirt washed off. We then played a game of Phase 10. They had room for me in their tent and a big mattress. I slept great.

It was a great day. I am looking forward to hiking with Tyler.

Pictures:

1. Flies outside Kinsman Pond Shelter.
2. Tyler’s family at Lonesome Lake. Several pictures.
3. Yellow butterflies.

4. Wildflowers.











No comments:

Post a Comment