Sunday, July 7, 2019

Thur., June 27, 2019. Day 42/98. Galehead Hut. Trail mileage 1831.9. 44.1879N71.5689W. 13.0 miles. 10 hrs 20 mins. 1.3 mph. 1,271.8 / 920.2 to go.

Climbed 6,033 ft. Descended 3,733 ft. Wow. That is a lot of feet to climb. Most I have done in one day. Tyler was great support.

What a day. It was great to hike with Tyler. He was good to me. He followed me with all of our hiking. I know he could have done it at twice the speed, but he never pushed, only supported. I hope he enjoyed the slower pace. 

The trail was tough. There was even a section that the trail was in a stream/waterfall. Very steep and slippery. Fortunately, it wasn’t splashing all over us. At the top of the section we got water. It tasted so good.

Our plan was to do 10.2 miles and stay at Garfield shelter. Tomorrow was going to be 17.5 miles. We did good and decided to press on today and get to at least the Galehead Hut. Making tomorrow only 14 miles. It was a good decision, even though we climbed over 6,000 feet. I was tired when we got to the hut. We went in and asked about work for stay. It is a program they have for AT through hikers. Julia said yes, that we could do work for stay. They fed us dinner after all of the guests had been fed. We then did some dishes, only for 35 minutes. We slept on the dining room floor. Another AT hiker, AG also did the stay for work. I met AG back at the Hikers Welcome Hostel. He appears to be my age. AG stands for Angela’s Grandfather. He has one grand child, Angela. We all left before breakfast was served. The crew of the hut said we could stay for breakfast. They were nice to us and treated us better than the guests.

Today’s hike was extreme for me. We had many steep grades that were difficult and slow climbs. Though 1.3 mph is slow I feel good about going that speed for the climb and rough trail we went over.

Pictures:

1. Yellow slugs. See a lot of them.
2. Trail.
3. Tyler and me.

4. Galehead Hut.











No comments:

Post a Comment