Sunday, June 30, 2019

Tue., June 25, 2019. Day 40/96. kinsman Pond Shelter. Trail mileage 1814.1. 44.1369N71.7326W. 4.0 miles. 3 hrs 20 mins. 1.2 mph. 1,254.0 / 938.0 to go.

Short hike today, though a mountain still to be climbed. I climbed Kinsman Mountain today. It was twice the climbing elevation of Wolf Mountain. It wasn’t as hard though. I think that I as because of fewer bogs and fewer bugs. It was technically hard, and had to use natural hand holds to go up and down. I enjoyed it.

I didn’t hike for very long and got to the shelter before it started to rain. This is the third time I have got to shelters before rain started. So much better than hiking in the rain. 

I didn’t hike very far today so that I could meet up with Tyler tomorrow morning at 10 am at Lonesome Lake. I am looking forward to it. I am hoping the weather is good so they do not have to hike in the rain. If it is raining, hopefully, Tyler will not make them hike and we can do it another day. I do not have phone reception, so I don’t have the forecast.

So far, at 5 pm I am the only person here. I believe others will still show up. It is always nice to have fewer rather than many.

I got about 6 days of blogs written and pictures listed. Very productive. I even snuck in a nap. 

The caretaker is Chief-Boy-RDee. Young guy. He was working hard on a cooking area when I got here. They charge $10 to stay here. You get a hikers card, then it is $5 at future shelters. Also at the huts you get a free bowl of soup and bread. Sounds like a good deal.

Shortly after arriving a young man, graduated from high school, with his parents came by. He works at the Lonesome Lake Hut. He cooks. I visited with them for about 20 minutes. He invited me to drop by tomorrow for some free food. He said not to use my card. I thought I got the soup and bread at each hut. Guess I will see.

Pictures:

1. Looking back from South Kinsman Peak. Furthest peak on right is Moosilauke that I hiked two days ago. Closer peak is Wolf Mountain that I hiked yesterday.
2. Panoramic from top of Kinsmans Peak. Note weather is coming. I got to the shelter before it started.
3. Trails, Pond, streams on trail today. Beautiful. I am blessed to be able to be here.
4. Kinsman Pond. Big enough to be a lake to me. Shelter on shoreline.
5. Kinsman Pond Shelter. 










No comments:

Post a Comment