Sunday, June 30, 2019

Fri., June 21, 2019. Day 36/92. NH Route 25A. Trail mileage 1783.4. 43.9009N71.9842W. 16.9 miles. 11 hrs 00 mins. 1.5 mph. 1,223.4 / 968.6 to go.

I want to get closer to the hostel than my plan had so I would have more time for laundry, blog, and other projects when I got there. I got within 10 miles, but it was a brutal day. 11 hours. I climbed two high mountains. Smart mountain and Cube Mountain. I climbed a total of 4,565 feet. I descended down 5,112. That is the most I have done in one day. Probably the most I will ever do. Smart Mountain also had some steep, rocky, and slipper sections. I climbed it first.

To start the day off it rained for the first 3 or 4 hours. Within the first hour my boots and feet were soaking wet. They stayed wet for a couple days. Also, more than half the trail was either a stream, or a bog. It is very tough to walk around the bog. Sorry I didn’t take a picture. I have one in a later day. I only hiked today. As soon as the rain stopped the mosquitoes were out again. My arms are covered with bites. Fortunately, the “After Bite” is helping.

While trying to avoid one of the bogs I slipped and went in. My knee went and sunk down 1 to 1and 1/2 foot deep.  My head hit a log, but my full brim rain hat took the blow so know injury. Very lucky. Mud all over my right side.

Later I tripped on a branch in the middle of the trail and scrapped my left knee. Very shallow scrape. Picture looks worse than it is.

I camped, set up my tent next to NH Route 25A. The rain had stopped earlier and the area was only damp. I felt good about it. I put up my tent, then quickly threw everything in, jumped in, and zipped the cover closed to keep out the mosquitoes. Heaven. As I took off my wet clothes, yes they were all wet from the rain, sitting on the floor of my tent was a slug! I first thought it was a leach, but the picture shows it isn’t black. It was about 1/4 “ long. I killed it. I wondered when I picked it up as it appeared to be inside my underwear. YUCK! Then I found another one. Oh well what are you going to do. 

I dried off. Put on some dry and clean clothes. My long johns, pajamas. Drank some water and ate a little. No cooking. Then off to bed. I was very tired. My plan was to wake when I was rested and hike when I was ready. Read tomorrow to continue my story about slugs.

I felt like today I earned my stripes for hiking on the AT. Fortunately, in two days I will have probably my best day on the trail.

Pictures: Didn’t take any pictures while hiking. Focused on getting the miles done as quickly as possible.

1. Slug 🐌 on tent floor.
2. Left knee. Okay, feel sorry for me. No pain except when I kneel on it. So, I avoid kneeling on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment