Sunday, June 30, 2019

Sun., June 23, 2019. Day 38/94. NH Route 25A. Trail mileage 1793.1. Hikers Welcome Hostel. 43.9865N71.8962W. 9.4 miles. 6 hrs 20 mins. 1.5 mph. 1,242.5 / 949.5 to go.

I climbed 3,964 ft and descended 3,118 ft. A 757 ft/mi grade.

I have to start this entry by saying how frustrating it is to use the iPad and the Google Blogger web page. I wasted over 1 hour trying to make a post. I have several posts that I have written that need posting. If you are reading this I got it figured out. Sorry to post so many at one time. I was going to get caught up at the hostel where I had WiFi, but struggled.

Okay, to today’s posting. Today very well could have been my best day on the entire AT. I slack packed Moosilauke Mountain. 

This is the first mountain in the White Mountain Range. The range is 101 miles long. It is where Mount Washington is. I will be hiking with Tyler in this range. This mountain is the closest to the mountains we hike in the west. In the west we hike to some significant point. Today I hiked to the peak of a high mountain. It is lush forest. There are a lot of rocks. One big difference is in the west to climb a high mountain they use switch backs. For some reason in the east they do not. You go straight up the ridge. Much harder and dangerous.

I hiked 9 1/2 miles in about 6 hours. Being the weekend and perfect clear skies with a cool temperature there were a lot of people. Also a lot of dogs. I visited with a lot of people, petted all of the dogs, and told them about our Trinity and back packing. I would have loved to have Trinity with me. She would have loved it. I should mention the way I came up she could not have made it, but the way down she could have made it up and down.

The pictures really tell the store. For the first section we were right next to a waterfall. Steep and beautiful. On top great views. Very windy on top. I had plenty of energy at the end of the hike since I slack packed.

Again, probably my best day on the AT.

On the way back to hostel on the road I saw Pat and Megan again. They are going to do Mountain Moosilauke tomorrow. I might see them again down the trail.

Pictures:

1. Pictures of my hiking Moosilauke Mountain. 

2. My slack pack that I borrowed from the hostel. Very small and light - the shark. Perfect.



















No comments:

Post a Comment