Sunday, June 30, 2019

Thur., June 20, 2019. Day 35/91. Trapper John Shelter, NH. Trail mileage 1766.5. 43.7829N72.1118W. 5.7 miles. 3 hrs 05 mins. 1.8 mph. 1,206.5 / 985.5 to go. 1,212.2 / 979.8.

It was forecasted for showers this morning and thunderstorms starting about noon. It was only 25% for this morning. I wanted to get to this shelter before it started to rain. I made it. I got up at 5:30 and was on the trail at 6:30. I made pretty good time considering I had a tough climb. I got to the shelter 10 minutes before 10 am. It lightly rained at 10:20 and got steady at 10:40. 

Mosquitos are bad. I didn’t put on any deet as I thought it would still be effective from yesterday. WRONG. I suffered through because I didn’t want to stop. I put some on when I got to the shelter. Though there are a lot of mosquitoes they aren’t bothering me now.

Of course I am completely wet from sweating. I took of my shirt to air it out. It will not dry because of the humidity. That sucks. With sitting it is feeling chilly. That is good. I put on my coat.

The next morning the shirt hadn’t dried one bit. I will wash and dry it at the hostel I am headed to.

Pat and Megan got to the shelter. After about one hour in which I was napping they decided they wanted to hike further, to the next shelter. They started and the rain and thunder started. I felt sorry for them. I caught up to them the next day. They didn’t make it to the shelter. They ended up tying their hammocks in some trees just off the trail. By the way it was still raining the next morning.

Pictures:

1. Interesting yellow moss. Not the normal green.
2. Fire place left from an old Dartmouth Outing Club cabin. No other signs of it. Must have been there 100 years or more ago. By the way there is a ski resort just over the ridge. Another hiker took a wrong trail and found it.
3. Trapper John Shelter.




No comments:

Post a Comment