Sunday, June 30, 2019

Mon., June 24, 2019. Day 39/95. Eliza Brook Shelter. Trail mileage 1810.1. 44.1009N71.7422W. 7.5 miles. 5 hrs 40 mins. 1.3 mph. 1,250.0 / 942.0 to go.

Today I got to climb to my son’s mountain, Wolf Mountain. His call sign is Wolf.

It was a very tough climb and descent. Much harder than Moosilauke. It isn’t groomed as well. I believe fewer people use the trail. I hope the trails I do with Tyler are better. There were a lot of bogs and the bugs were unbearable. The mountains are less rugged and steep than the Rockies, but they choose to go straight up, and not on the most gradual slope. I think that is the way they were originally done, and no one is going to Improve them.

With that said it was a good day, except for the bugs, for hiking. I enjoyed the weather and mountain.

On top I had cell phone coverage so I sent a text to the family. 

While trying to avoid a bog I hit a tree that I didn’t notice. It had a dead branch that ripped a hole in a side stretch pocket on my back pack. Since I got into the shelter fairly early I was able to sew it. I had just got enough black thread to sew it up and back. It looks good. Hope it does the job for the next week. 

When I got to the shelter I immediately put up my tent, quickly put everything in, jumped in, and zipped it close. Heaven. I was in, and the bugs were out. I was exhausted from the strenuous hike. I took a nap. It was great. The bugs decreased as the sun went behind the hill. I sewed my backpack and had dinner. Another hiker that I knew before leaving the trail stayed at the shelter. Just before Harpers Ferry I had given him some Advil for shin splints that he had. He has figured out that the shoes he had caused the problem. He has different shoes now.

There were about eight at the shelter till a group came in at 10 pm. It was a high school group that was being guide by a service. They had come over Wolf Mountain. I am surprised they didn’t get someone hurt. In the morning they left about 15 minutes before me. Within 200 yards they were stopped on the trail. I guessed one person had a problem so they all stopped. I feel sorry for those good hikers who have to stay together with the slower people. The only leaders I could see were young men, probably college age. I am not sure how much they know about leading a group. They are on a 10 day hike and will cover 80 miles. That is reasonable. A couple girls were carrying climbing ropes. When I said I assumed they were doing some repelling they said they wished, but weren’t. They were for bear bags. I told them to much weight. All of their packs looked way to large for their body size. Most are high school small framed girls. Probably carrying 35% to 40% of their body weight. They were doing 10 miles today, so they will not be at my shelter. If there were here I would probably give some advice to their leaders. Probably the wrong thing to do.

Pictures:

1. View from top of Wolf Mountain. Most of top was covered by trees. I believe that is Kinsman Mountain that I will climb tomorrow.
2. Bog. Yes that is the trail I am suppose to hike on/in.😖
3. Trail and streams. Beautiful.
4. Backpack sewing job.
5. Tent pad. Sat just above Eliza Brook. 

6. Eliza Brook.









No comments:

Post a Comment