Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Sat., Jun. 4, 2016. Day 53, Apple Orchard Mountain, 18.7 miles, 10 hours, 15 minutes, 1.82 mph, 768.5 / 1,399.5 to go.

No new trail names. I think this is the only day I haven't meet someone new.
 
Last night I loved it as I was by myself. This morning a fawn deer walked right into my camp area. We looked at each other for a few seconds. I then went on getting ready. It walked in closer, within 10 feet. It then gradually walked away.
 
Today was another tough day. I had to climb three big mountains. That is why my pace is below 2 mph. I climbed about 5,000 feet in elevation.
 
Apple Orchard Mountain is the highest point on the AT between Chestnut Knob and Mt. Moosilauke in New Hampshire. It was not a good place to be last night. On top of the mountain is a retired USAF Radar Station. The large radar dome is still there, but no person was there.
 
 
 
I set up my tent on the edge of the field near the trees and wire fence. We got another sever thunderstorm. I was worried I would be hit by lighting, my stakes being pulled out of the ground, or my tent leaking. The lighting and thunder were fierce, the wind strong, and the rain like buckets of water. For an hour I just hunkered down and prayed. All turned out okay, thank goodness. My tent did great. I wasn't sure it would make it. I text Linda as it happened and when the danger was over. She didn't text anything back so I figured she didn't read them till the next day. I just wanted to let someone know what happened if I got hit by lighting. It was a real possibility for a over half an hour. I could hear it as it moved right over my head. It was raining and blowing so hard I didn't even dare stick my head out.
 
One of the yucky things on the AT is being the first on one the trail in the morning. There are webs that have formed during the night. They are to fine to see. You hit them right in the face. There are hundreds. You are always glad when they disappear as you know someone else has already been there from a different camp area down the trail.
 
 
Pictures do not convey the beauty.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment