Sunday, May 19, 2019

Sat., May 11, 2019. Day 33/89. 501 Shelter. 40.5143N76.3460W. 17.9 miles. 8 hrs, 15 mins. 2.2 mph. 1,195.5 / 996.5 to go. (NOTE: .4 miles added because of extra distance caused by Beaver dam alternative route.

A very good day. I was surprised how good I felt at the end of the day. My feet didn’t feel as bad as they have before. There is a caretaker for the shelter. His name is Borderline. I asked his advice about a ride to the airport. By the time we discussed it raining the next two days and transportation he offered to drive me to Harrisburg Airport tomorrow. So, that is what I am going to do. Head home tomorrow. I called Linda and told her. She sounded excited that I was going home three days earlier. I am excited as well.

The trail had an alternate section because of a beaver dam that had been built and submerged the trail. I choose to take the alternate course. It was a good decision for me. It added .4 miles, but was a smooth and easy climb road. I made much better time than if I would have gone over the beaver dams. Nicholas reported to me that he went over the dams. He had to wade up to his knees with his flip flops and it was slow. That made me feel good about my decision.

The 501 shelter is a unique shelter because it is completely enclosed and has a caretaker. I think there is only one more on the trail that is completely enclosed. It has 12 bunk beds. There ended up being 6 people in the shelter. 

It is located close to a highway. It was possible to order pizza. We did that. Of course it was good. It is very easy to get spoiled on the trail. I actually had enough left over of my dinner the next day at the hotel.

Here are the names of the hikers. They are all younger, college age. They are also dedicated hikers. They got up early the next day and started out in the rain. It was, and did rain steady, and moderate all day. I would have been soaked by the next shelter which was 15 miles away. 

Nicholas - I have already talked about him.

Cheerleader - She is from the Netherlands. She has a spark and very friendly to all. She talked a lot. I have noticed that when women are at the shelter there is more conversation. Mostly that is good. She has done a lot of traveling through the world.

Chocolate-lady. Wears Chocos to hike in. That is where she gets her name. She isn’t college age. She is my age. I have been at several shelters with her. She is a little annoying some times. She has an opinion about everything and shares it. 

Nitro - Seems to be the leader of a group of three that are hiking together. Quiet compared to the women, but shared in the conversation.

Fire _______ - I can’t remember the second part of his name. He is very quiet. He is a little older that Nitro and Cheerleader. He hikes with them.

Pictures:

1. Another historical sign of the area.
2. 2 pictures of signs about beaver dam and alternate route. Added .4 miles to length of trail.
3. Trail through a field, looking back. These two trees were all by themselves in the middle of the field. Made a good picture.
4. Snake in the middle of the trail. Fortunately, not poisons.
5. View from trail into valley.
6. Spring is here and the new growth is beautiful.











No comments:

Post a Comment