Sunday, May 19, 2019

Tue., May 7, 2019. Day 29/85. Super 8 Motel, Carlisle, PA. 40.2330N77.1089W. 16.6 miles. 6 hrs, 30 mins. 2.6 mph. 1,131.3 / 1060.7 to go.

Last night I saw that the trail went right by some hotels at 17 miles. I figured I could stay there and have someone deliver my pack so I could slack pack. So, I did it. It was probably the easiest hike for a full day that I have done on the entire trail. The first 1/3 had a couple mountains that were no greater than a 500 foot climb. Then the rest was gradual farm land in the Cumberland Valley. I read that it is a 13 mile section that is the longest, lowest, and flattest section on the entire trail. I agree. They were almost level. With no backpack I made great time. 

During the last climb in the mountain section I came upon a lady who had twisted her ankle and leg. I carried her pack to the top of the hill. My Boy Scout good deed for the day. :-). The rest was a gradual downhill she said. She had come from that way. I offered to carry it more but she said no. That slowed me down, otherwise I would have made it to the the Motel a half an hour earlier. It was a very easy day. I hardly sweated. 

I met Shade Hunter. He served in Iraq for several years. Someone had told me about him at a shelter. He is about my age, maybe a little younger. The other night when it was raining he came to the shelter, saw it was full and then walked off. None of us at the shelter realized he had left. When I saw him today I told him we all felt sorry that he left. We would have made room for him. He said he didn’t feel anyone said that , or felt that. He just observed it. He ended up camping a couple miles down the trail in the rain. The next morning I saw where he had written his name in the trail. We talked about it. He seems like a great guy. He related how in Boiling Springs a couple had picked him up and had him stay with them. Nice people, true trail angels.

Pictures:

1. Cumberland Valley ahead. Level for 13 miles. Sweet.
2. Boiling Springs. Plaque telling about the town of Boiling Springs. The trail goes through the town.
3. Two pictures showing a blast iron furnace in Boiling Springs.
4. Steps over a fence with a white blaze painted on a pole on the other side to mark the trail.
5. A cemetery from the past.
6. What?? A warning about a trip hazard on the trail. Most of the trail is a trip hazard, I do trip. My guess is that OSHA required the contractor to put it up where they are working. I laughed. Haven’t seen a warning before, and don’t expect to see one again. :-).









No comments:

Post a Comment