Friday, May 17, 2019

Sat., May 4, 2019. Day 26/82. Birch Run Shelter. 39.9848N77.4194W. 15.7 miles. 6 hrs, 35 mins. 2.4 mph. 1,094.3 / 1,097.7 to go.

I was able to balance out the mileage. Tomorrow I will do 17.1 That is better than the 19+ that I was going to do. The day after I will be hiking only 3.3 miles from the shelter to the pickup point to go to the Mount Holly Inn. They have a food box for me, plus a night stay. It is forecasted 100% to rain tomorrow. It is 6 pm and it has already started to rain. I will probably have to pack my bag in the rain tomorrow morning. I guess that is how you have memories. Serves my right for hiking on Sunday.

I was planning on staying in a shelter tonight. I arrived, took of my backpack and talked with people there. Three men hiked in after me. Said, any room left. One of the woman there said, yes 3 places. He immediately said we will take them. In a blink of the eye I am camping outside in the rain. If they show up where I am tomorrow that isn’t going to happen. As soon as I get there I am going to grab a spot. I plan to be there early. I want to start hiking tomorrow at day break, 6:00 am.

I do not think the hikers that came in after me were trying to sneak into my spot, but it happened. It did end up raining all night long and the next morning. I did end up packing my wet tent in my back pack. The first time I took it out was when I was at the hotel. It was dripping when I took it out. Fortunately, it was sunny and I was able to dry out everything.

Pictures:
  1. Me. I was taking one of my 3 hour breaks. Every 3 hours I stop, take off my pack, and drink some of my extra water that I carry in my pack. It refreshes me. Very helpful.
  2. Three pictures of the trail. The third shows tree routes in the trail.





No comments:

Post a Comment