Friday, May 17, 2019

Thur., May 2, 2019. Day 24/80. Raven Rock Shelter. 39.6733N77.5307W. 18.8 miles. 8 hrs, 45 mins. 2.1 mph. 1,061.5 / 1,130.5 to go.

The day started good when I got to see the first Washington Monument. It was erected by the stat of Maryland. Unfortunately, it was being restored and I was unable to into it. The ranger said it had a good view.

It was a tough day, but the weather was good. I had several steep ups and downs. Also some rock ridges to cross. I think those are the worse. They slow me down and I have to be careful not to trip, or twist an ankle.

The sun was out today, but still a pleasant temperature. I dread when summer arrives and it is hot and humid. It wasn’t humid today. That is a blessing.

The shelter I stayed at didn’t have water. I had to get water at a spring that was .6 miles from the shelter. So, I carried about 10 extra pounds of water. That wasn’t to bad, except it was a very steep hill to get to the shelter. I did learn that I could carry the extra weight without a problem. My pack seems heavier to me now compared to 2016. I don’t think it is, I guess it is just the way the memory, or age works. :-).

There were 6 at the shelter when I got there. They said they do not get up that early. I decide to put up my tent. I also put up a clothes line to dry out and freshen my clothes and camping equipment. It was a wonderful afternoon. I enjoyed the breeze and cool afternoon. If all days could be like this at the shelter life would be perfect on the trail.


A young lady, Lisa, who I met on the trail camped near me. When she arrived at the camp she introduced herself with her trail name, which I do not remember. She said she was Lisa when we met, but had decided to start using her trail name by the time she reached camp.


Pictures:


1.  Mount Vernon hut at the bottom of the park. A road leads up to the Washington Monument.
2.  First Washing Monument.
3.  Description of the Washington Monument.
4.  Looking down the trail I am hiking. The steepest and roughness doesn’t show in a picture.
5.  Finally a field to walk across. It is a nice change from the past four weeks of mountain trails 










No comments:

Post a Comment