Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Wed., May 1, 2019. Day 23/79. Dahlgren Backpack Campground. 39.4812N77.6193W. 18.2 miles. 7 hrs, 50 mins. 2.3 mph. 1,042.7 / 1,149.3 to go.

I left Harpers Ferry. Walking along the edge of the city was a hike in itself. I then crossed the railroad track that crosses the Potomac. After that for about 3 miles I followed the old C & O Canal. It was interesting to see how Mother Nature takes back what isn’t kept up. The canal channel is still there, but you would never know it was a canal. A little water, but not flowing, is in it. Trees are grown all over the banks. The road we hiked has been kept up, but there is no indication of how the mules would pull the barges. I guess it quit being used once the railroad arrived.

This is my fourth week and I am feeling in the groove. It was a joy to hike today. My body, shoes, and pack all felt good. I had one hill to climb, which I did pretty good on. I am still having to stop to often while climbing. I am getting better though.

I camped at Dahlgren Backpack Campground. Maryland State made and maintains it. It had about 8 tent sights. The best part is that it had hot water showers. I got to shower. There were two others camping there.

Drew was another camper. He is headed south and doing the Maryland section. I learned it takes only three days to hike the AT through Maryland. When he heard that I came from Harpers Ferry today, one day, he decided to do it in one day. He was going to camp another day, but realized it wasn’t that far or hard.

After showering Drew and I went and ate at the South Mountain Inn. It was a fancy restaurant that was about 1/4 mile up a road that paralleled the trail. It was very good. I had crab soup and a fish plate. I do not remember the kind of fish.

My boots started pulling apart at the ball of the left foot. See the picture. It is a little over 200 miles. No sure how that will affect the water proofing. See the picture.

I got a new hat and bandana at the ATC - Appalachian Trail Conservancy. See pictures.

Pictures:

1. Leaving Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
2. Rail road bridge crossing Potomac. AT path. Leaving W.V. and entering Maryland.
3. C & O Canal pictures. 8 pictures.
4. White blaze on a tree and my new hat. Three pictures
5. New Bandanna.
6. Shoe separating. Two pictures.


















No comments:

Post a Comment