Sunday, May 19, 2019

Wed., May 8, 2019. Day 30/86. Red Carpet Inn, Duncannon, PA. 40.4503N76.9765W. 17.5 miles. 7 hrs, 40 mins. 2.3 mph. 1,148.8 / 1043.2 to go.

Today I finished crossing the Cumberland Valley. If you look at the picture looking back over the valley you can see some mountains in the distance. I came out of those mountains yesterday. I crossed the valley yesterday afternoon and this morning. It is about 15 miles across. Sometimes when I look back I marvel how fast I cover a distance. I’m not very fast, just constant.

When I got to Duncannon I was trying to follow the map in the AWOL guide book that was on my phone. I shouldn’t have been doing that. I was trying to find an ice cream store that was on the map. The side walk had a section that had raised 1 1/2”. I tripped on it. I scraped my knee and had a cut above my left eye. A couple who lived there came out of their home and helped me. They were true trail angels. By the time all was done they had cleaned and bandaged up my cuts and given me a ride to the motel. I had tried to call the motel, but their phone was continuously busy. They had available rooms. When I told them about heir phone, sure enough it was down. He had to reset it.

I showered and cleaned up the cuts that are only scrapes, so I should be okay to leave in the morning.

Pictures:

1. American flag hanging on the AT bridge that crosses US Route 11 at the edge of Carlisle, PA.
2. More of Cumberland Valley, PA.
3. Cumberland Valley coming to an end. Ahead, that you can see, are the mountains I will climb. Not to high.
4. Pretty wildflowers. Picture doesn’t do them justice.
5. Looking back across Cumberland Valley. Read first paragraph about mountains in distance. I cam out of those yesterday morning.
6. Sign about entering Cumberland Valley, I of course am leaving it.
7. Me at Hawk Rock with Duncannon Town in back ground. That is the Susquehanna River.
8. Steps coming down from Hawk Rock to Duncannon City. Very steep and tricky. About 1/2 mile of them.










No comments:

Post a Comment