Sunday, May 19, 2019

SUMMARY FOR THIS PERIOD ON THE AT. April 9 through May 11, 2019.

Dates:  Tue., April 9 through Sat., May 11, 2019.
Days on trail:  33. Total days on trail (including 2016):  89.
Beginning point:  Mile 808.1. 37.7236N79.2509W. Near Buena Vista, VA.
Ending point:  Mile 1,1195.5. 501 Shelter. On PA Route 501.
Miles hiked on this trip:  387.4
Miles to go:  996.5
Average miles per day:  11.7 miles hiked per day. I took four zero days.
Average miles per week (4.7 weeks):  82.4 miles per week.
Based on 82.4 miles per week time to finish trail:  12 weeks.
Average hiking speed (not calculated. scanned past days):  2.3 mph. Range hiking speed:  2.1 to 2.6.

It has been a rewarding adventure back on the AT. I have hiked all day in the rain a couple times. I didn’t encounter any snow or extreme cold weather this time. Probably because I started later in the year, and was not as high of elevations as the Smokies. I strained my left knee when I first started because I started by climbing two high mountains with steep inclines and descents. I took two days off, got a knee strap, and trekking poles. Both knees are good now with no problems. Steep descents are still hard on them, but the poles help a lot with the descents. I have enjoyed hiking hiking in the cooler weather, and do not look forward to returning to the heat and humidity.

It was definitely harder this time. I hadn’t trained as much, which was a problem. I didn’t think it would be. It also wasn’t as rewarding/fun as last time. I am hoping when I go out again I will get more enjoyment out of the experience.


Thanks for your interest and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment