Sunday, May 19, 2019

Thur., May 9, 2019. Day 31/87. Peter’s Mountain Shelter. 40.4257N76.8793W. 11.2 miles. 5 hrs, 00 mins. 2.2 mph. 1,160.0 / 1032.0 to go.

I woke up a little after 5 am and got up. I felt good and felt like I needed to make up for my bad day yesterday. 

I refigured my stopping points. I determined that I needed to do a short day, 11.2 miles, today to get in sync with the shelters. Once in sync the shelters are all 16 to 18 miles apart. Perfect. With 17 miles on the 15th I will end up hitting PA Route 248 that goes into Allentown, PA. There are 3 Delta flights a day from there. Again Perfect. Uber charges about $30 for the ride. I will check on a regular shuttle driver, but know I can use Uber or Lyft if needed.

I showered, put on some neosporen and bandaids and was ready to go. My scrapes were not deep. I had no problems hiking today from them.

The weather report said 60% at 2 pm. I wanted to be at the shelter by 1 pm. I made it. It never poured rain, but drizzled all afternoon. I missed it. It is very cold at the shelter. I am going to sleep good, once I go to bed.

This shelter had a water source, but not close, and steep to get to. It was .2 miles away. A sign posted said it had 300 steps to get to. I believe it. It was down a steep hill with rock steps going down to it. Which met also going up them. See picture of spring and note steps next to it. The spring came right out of the mountain, was visible for less that 150 feet and then disappeared. I wonder how they ever found it.

Pictures:

1. Two pictures of my combat injuries with the sidewalk.
2. The sidewalk that I tripped on the day before. It was 1 1/2” raised.
3. Picture of the trail. Tough trail to hike. The rocks are always tough and slower.
4. Water source. It is always to key to how far I hike and where I will camp. Most shelters have a good water source like this spring. 
5. Steps to water source. The camera doesn’t show how steep it is.








No comments:

Post a Comment