Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Tue., April 30, 2019. Day 22/78. Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. 39.3217N77.7440W. 8.4 miles. 3 hrs, 20 mins. 2.5 mph. 1,024.6 / 1,167.4 to go.

I was anxious to get to Harpers Ferry as this is designated the half way point. I got there early so I could look around town and check in with the ATC - Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

At the headquarters I got my picture taken and entered into their record book. I was the 102 section hiker to register this year. 

The town is small, but full of history. They have many historical buildings and the park service has tours. The John Brown raid occurred here. Before the civil war he tried to over take the national armory to get arms to start a slave up rising. His attempt failed and he was hung. It was a major event before the civil war.

The Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers join together here. Three states also come together, separated by the rivers. Virginia where I finished hiking in, West Virginia, where I am now, and Maryland, where I will start hiking in tomorrow.

I got my clothes washed and I showered and ready for another day, tomorrow on the trail.

I enjoyed my visit.

Pictures:

1 & 2. Bridge crossing Shenandoah river from Virginia to West Virginia.
3.  In front of AT Conservancy headquarters. A big event for all hikers to get their picture taken and put in the record book.
4 - 5.  John Browns last stand.
6 - 7.  Jefferson,s Rock.
8.  Picture of Harpers Ferry.
9.  Niagara monument.
10 - 11. Harpers Ferry cemetery.

12.  Cannon & armory building in back ground. 
























No comments:

Post a Comment