Friday, April 8, 2016

Tue. Apr. 5, Day 26, tent sight at mile 367.2, 15 miles, 6:20 hours, 2.38 mph, 367.2 hiked / 1,800.8 to go.

Another cold night, down to 20 d F last night. Guess warm weather isn't here yet.
 
I made it. I wasn't sure I was going to because of my feet. They were really hurting after 10 miles. I have decided my boots are the problem. My middle toes on my left foot are being mashed into the front of the boot. I am sure I am going to lose at least one toe nail. I definitely need a larger toe box. I have taped up the two middle toes and done nothing else. I am also going to wear only one pair of socks, my thinnest wool sock. I have also cut off the draw system they have on the boot and will tie them like a regular shoe lace. I was able to do that today and it helped.
 
Draw system
 
I am excited today as I got to camp early, 1500. That was my hope for the entire trip. I was able to get items done, like my boots and have time to blog before dark. It feels great.
 
I got some trail magic today. As I was walking a man coming the other way asked if I was going to Katahdin, the north ending point on the AT. I said yes. He reached in his pocket and gave me a packet of skittles. I said thanks and immediately wished one of Papa's kids were here to give them to since I am not a fan of Skittles. I still have them. I will eat them tomorrow. Speaking of "Trail Magic" please read the summary.
Beautiful, but tough hiking
 
I am staying at a camp sight 1.1 miles before a shelter. I talked to about 10 people that were headed to the shelter. It is going to be crowded. I am all by myself. It is great. I will be able to get up early and not bother any one. Shelters are okay if you get a slot and there is bad weather. Otherwise, to many people.
 

2 comments:

  1. I read in a backpacker magazine how to tie the shoe lace so your toes won't jam, maybe this will help:

    How do you tie your boots so that your feet don’t slide forward, causing you to hit your toes and toenails at the tip while still allowing some room for the swelling that naturally occurs? There is a way! Read on and view instructional images below…

    You’ll notice that there are generally two types of eyelets on a good pair of hiking boots. The ones along the top of the foot are usually closed metal rings, and the ones going up from the inside of the ankle are the quick-release type.

    What you’ll want to do is lace your shoes with some give through the lower eyelets—not snug but not real loose either. Then do a single very snug overhand loop with the laces just before you start lacing through the quick release eyelets. Lace through the first pair of quick release eyelets and then do another snug overhand loop. Lace through the next pair, and again, do another loop. Do this all the way to the top of the eyelets. Once you’ve tied your bootlaces, I recommend taking the two loops and tying them together—just like you do kid’s shoes.

    http://www.hitthetrail.com/boot-lacing-technique/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are images on the link if you can click on that

      Delete