Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Sat. Mar. 26, Day 16, Tri-Corner Shelter, 15.1 miles, 7:05 hours, 2.13 mph, 222.2 hiked / 1945.8 to go.

I got a ride from NOC back to New Found Gap. I started hiking at 10:40. At the gap there were many people visiting. One family talked to me about thru hiking the trail, and took my picture by a sign that showed the distance to Kitihad peak, the ending point. It was over 1,900 miles. It was cool they wanted my picture. I wish I had them take a picture with my camera.
 
It was a great day. There was a climb at the first and then pretty much medium to moderate climbs and descents. The trails were in good condition. No snow, slush, or mud. Weather was good. Great hiking day.
 
ACCOMPLISHMENT: 10% of the hike is done. That doesn't sound like a lot, but to an engineer like me 10% is when you start making measurements. Besides, hiking over 216.8 miles in 16 days sounds pretty good to me. :-).
 
There was two choices For shelters today. One at 10 miles, and the other at 15 miles. I choose to do the 15 miles.
 
Here is something really neat. See the pictures. The trail is right on the ridge of the mountains in the Smokeys. There are many places were the ridge is only as wide as the trail. It is wide enough, but no extra. On one side it drops straight off, and the other side drops off at an 80ยบ drop off, almost straight down. It is neat to look on both sides and see great vistas.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment