Friday, March 25, 2016

Summary. Mar. 18 - Mar. 24, 2016. Rock Gap to Newfound Gap, 207.1 hiked / 1960.9 to go. Mar. 18 - Mar. 24, 2016. Rock Gap to Newfound Gap, 207.1 hiked / 1960.9 to go.

Less than 2,000 miles to go. That makes me feel like I have accomplished some miles. I started on Mar. 11th. 14 days hiking. Not counting zero days, 2, that is 14.8 mpd. That is more than most people are doing. It is pretty close to my plan A. My body feels it. This next section I am going to follow my plan B which covers 10 to 15 mpd rather than 18 or 20 mpd. It will give me more time for camping and body recovery.
 
Tyler asked if I was able to keep my goal. Nope, not even close. I had hoped to hike 3 mph. On the level, or slight up or down hill I do, even better. Up hill I slow, even to probably 1/2 mph on the steep. I am average about 2 mph at the end of the day. That includes all of the stops to visit, pump water, change clothes, ect. I feel good about my pace. Some other hikers are going faster, and some are going slower.
 
Nathan asked why so many miles per day. The answer is the logistics of locations. Example. I had to get from Dick's Creek Gap to Rock Gap which is 36.4 miles. Two choices. Two days of 18 miles each, or three days of 12 miles each. Also, with 18 miles I had better camping at Standing Indian Mountain. I chose 2 days. This next section I am going for less miles to try it out. See if my feet and knees feel better.
 
I love my tent as I have mentioned. It did a great job in the snow. The best part is the room. I see other campers squeeze into their one man tents. I am very happy to carry the extra weight. Every night I get to unpack and spread out my stuff.
 
My sleeping bag. Great bag, but not as warm as I thought it would be. I have it figured out. I wear my base layer, fleece, beany, two pairs of socks, and put my down coat over the bottom of the bag. I sleep the night through nice and warm. The design is great, but adds to the cold of it. No zipper so the heat escapes. I will live with it because it is so rooming. The best feature is the sleeve for my sleeping pad. I can turn, which I do, as much as I want, and always stay on the pad. I would never buy another bag without that feature. I do wish I had a full length pad. I didn't think it would bother me, but my feet resting on the hard surface will wake me up. I am putting bags of clothing inside my bag so my toes can rest on those. It is working so far.
 
New term. They do not call their mountain tops top, or peaks. They call them balds. New term like gap. :-).
 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't mail home your red fleece. It sounds like it is coming in handy, at least some extra padding for your knees and feet.

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posts Dad. Hope your body acclimates to the daily hiking. We have had three days of constant rain - hope it doesn't move your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only one day of rain to hike in so far. I consider myself lucky. It will come and I am mentally ready to just keep walking and "singing in the rain" 👍

    ReplyDelete