Friday, March 25, 2016

Wed. Mar. 23, Day 13, Siler's Bald Shelter, 17.7 miles, 9:55 hours, 1.73 mph, 195 hiked / 1,973 to go.

Trail is still slushy and muddy from the snow. Easier day than the previous where I climbed up from Fontana Dam.
 
I liked the shelter camping. I stayed a second night in a shelter. I didn't think I would. People are nice and accommodating. I have no trouble sleeping. It reminds me of pictures I saw of slave ships where each person got a slot to sleep. It is much better than it sounds. It is nice to have the wind kept out. Very windy on the ridges of the highest mountains. I don't know why they put the shelters there. They are partially stone built, and very sturdy. The very large tarp they put up to cover the front flapped all night in the wind. You just have to sleep through it. Very loud. It was nice not to have to put up my tent.
 

2 comments:

  1. Did you take ear plugs or was that too much weight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ear plugs. No problems yet. I am so tired I just crash and sleep through it. I find myself having to turn several times each night due to knee pains.

    ReplyDelete