Friday, March 25, 2016

Tue. Mar. 22, Day 12, Mollies Ridge Shelter, 15.3 miles, 8:18 hours, 1.84 mph, 177.3 hiked / 1990.7 to go. Climbed 2,897 feet. On Tennessee / North Carolina border.

Fontana Dam
The mountain I climbed after crossing the dam.
 
 
Fontana Lake
Trail - muddy, slushy, snowing. Yucky.
 
One tough day. Climbed for ever. A tough 15 miles. The day was beautiful with mostly clear skies and the sun out. But, the trail was terrible. With snow two nights ago the trail was either snow, slush, or mud. My right foot was okay as I splashed my way through. My right foot was another story. With the leak my foot got wet. Third day I have had a dry left foot, and a wet right foot. It isn't as bad as it sounds though.
 
I am spending my first night in a shelter. It is a very nice shelter. I sleeps about 16. There is a large tarp over the front. There is a fire place. A man made a fire. A nice touch. The shelter is right on the ridge. The wind is blowing hard. If I was in my tent it would be getting blown very hard.
 
My pains move around. Yesterday, my left knee started hurting. Still hurting today. Also toes on left foot. But, they will pass, as many other pains have.
 
Today we sort of crossed into Tennessee. The ridge line that the AT is on through the Smoky National Park is also the border for North Carolina and Tennessee.
 
A couple accomplishments. Entered into "The Great Smoky National Park. I will be in the park for 7 plus days. The park is the most visited national park in the US and has the highest elevations on the AT. Entered state #3.
 

4 comments:

  1. The pictures are great. I would like to see inside a shelter in a picture next time you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are your two right feet doing?

      Delete
  2. Dad, the hiking in the mud sounds super tough. I would hurt a ton doing that :) way to stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will take a picture of a shelter. The distance is the tough part. It is getting easier. Oops, did I say right feet. My left one is the real problem. The two right ones are less problematic, I guess because I have two of them😊

    ReplyDelete