Wednesday, March 30, 2016

SUMMARY. Mar. 25 - 30, 2016. Newfound Gap to Hot Springs, 274.6 hiked / 1,893.4 to go.

AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. I feel great. I am 1 day ahead of my schedule A, the faster one. According to it my zero day should be on the 31st and not the 30th.
 
Zero day. I wasn't sure if I thought zero days were important or not. Now I decided they are important. I arrived in the afternoon. I was very tired, hurting, and discouraged. I got my wash done, ate good, got unpacked, showered, and rested that evening. The second day I recovered. It was great.
 
When I arrived in Gatlinburg this is what was hurting. My middle toes on my left foot. My middle toe on my right foot. My ham string on my left leg. Both knees. My feet were swollen. I had a couple of blisters that were still healing. After a full day I was amazed how my body rebounded and every pain went away. By the time it was time to hike I felt great and was excited about starting out.
 
I am convinced that a zero day is a life savor and helps.
 
My adventure is starting to transition from the struggle of the hike each day to events and people. I was hoping that would eventually happen. I am actually being able to think on my climbs about other things than climbing and breathing.
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're able to recover after a down day and not feel like you're on a death march.

    ReplyDelete