Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Summary for first 4 days, Mar. 11-14, Springer Mountain, 69.6 miles, 69.6 hiked / 2,098.4 to go.

Not many days for writing a summary on.
 
First I am very happy with my pace. I was suppose to arrive at Dick's Creek Gap on the morning of my 6th day. I got here on the night of my fourth day. I cut out a day. I don't expect that to happen again as I had planned an easy first week. The rest of the plan matches the pace I had these four day.
 
I had a very tough time going up hills on the first day. I would take 40 steps and have to stop to breath. I am amazed how quickly my cardiovascular system has adapted. I am not walking up the hills, except for very steep ones, without stopping. I have to take baby steps to do it, and I am slow, but I am able to keep going. I hope to increase my stride.
 
I have come to realize that equipment will not last the entire AT. I have been told that most people go through 3 pairs of boots. With mine already having a leak I can believe it. My great light weight ground cover has ripped in two spots. One of my water pouches that I use to pump water from got a leak. At ever city there seems to be an outfitter. I know why.
 
Nathan, and Sharlyn, thanks for the towel - NOT. :-). It doesn't absorb. I will ship it home and have mom send out the purple one. I will keep the small one for a wash cloth.
 
I am also shipping home my red fleece. Didn't need it. It isn't that cold. There are some cold days coming up, but I believe I will be okay.
 
Gap. Another word for HELL. A gap is a low spot between two mountains. There usually is a road, and often a paved highway, that goes through a gap. To get to a gap there is always a steep descent to it, and then a steep climb out of it. The only good thing about them is that you can get a shuttle into a town at a gap.
 
For some reason they build their trails to go up over the mountain, and then down into a gap. I have been watching and have figured they could have kept the trail on pretty much the same elevation and gone around the mountain to the next gap. I guess someone figured we all like to climb to the top of the mountain for the great view. I can tell you one time would have been enough.
 
The area is beautiful, sort of. The leaves are not out yet. See pictures in earlier blogs. I am looking forward to see them come out the next couple weeks. The ground is covered with leaves that fell from last year. Mother would love that.
 
I have hiked 70 miles and haven't seen one river, or lake. There hasn't been any large wildlife. Maybe when the leaves come. I expected to see turkeys and deer.
 
My backpack weight is between 35 pounds and 40 pounds when I start with a new food group. I am happy with those weights.
 
My water bladder, 2 liters, is lasting 5 hours. Perfect. Once it gets hotter it will be shorter periods between pumping water. With it going for 5 hours I have to only stop once during the day.
 
You may wonder how you can hike so far and not worry about getting off the trail The trail is marked with white blazes. They are every .1 to .2 of a mile. A very good system. There have been a couple times I would have liked to seen them sooner. I never have to even look at my GPS app to determine if I am on the trail. I only use it to determine distances to where I might stop for the night.
 
Also to help they mark blue blazes on any side trails. Those would be crossing trails, trails to camping spots, or water. They are helpful.
 
Here is a couple pictures of white blazes.
 
 
Here is the routine I have got going so far.
 
1. I hike for 5 hours without stopping, except on steep inclines and then I try to take only 4 breaths before going again. When I say not stopping I mean exactly that. I do not sit, take off my backpack, or even just stand. Don't want to destroy my pace.
 
2. At 5 hours I stop at the next water spot. Take off my backpack and pump water.
 
3. I start eating my trail mix after the first hour of hiking. Food is fuel. I am not hungry, even at meal time. I am just tired. I have to force feed myself. The mule knows about that from when he was about 9 years old.
 
4. I start eating my lunch after 4 hours of hiking. I eat a part of it every 1/2 hour. I cannot eat while climbing. All my air goes to hiking. When I eat I take baby bites and chew a long time before swallowing. I then drink after the bite. This saves me having to stop to eat lunch. Stopping destroyed your pace.
 
That is it for a summary. I am sure they will get smaller.
 
Thanks for your interest.
 

6 comments:

  1. enjoyed reading about your first week. Sharlyn is coming over Thursday to help find the items you needed me to ship.
    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Dad. Hopefully the hills start becoming easier as you build your stamina and condition the leg muscles. Thanks for sharing.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We enjoyed reading this and we will look forward to more stories :) keep up the hard work. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading about your adventure! Will read it to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love reading about your adventure! Will read it to the kids.

    ReplyDelete