Saturday, April 20, 2019

Fri., April 19, 2019. Day 11/67. Country View Inn, Elkton, VA. 38.3699N78.5832W. 11.6 miles. 5 hrs, 10 mins. 2.2 mph. 909.2 / 1,282.8 to go.

The big event today was that I beat the heavy thunderstorm that was coming in the afternoon. I even got lucky and beat the rain. It was a bad storm. There were tornadoes from it, but none close to Elkton where I am staying.

At the shelter we all got up at 5 am. There were a couple ready before me, but they didn’t want to hike in the dark. I wanted to try and get off the mountain before the storm.

I made much better time than I expected to. The trail was moderate most of the way. I was in the clouds 90% of the time. I had my pack cover on and it did the job. I was damp all over because of the heavy mist, but got only a few sprinkles. The rain started about one hour after I got checked in. The wind was also very heavy causing it to rain sideways. I am guessing being in the shelters it would have been miserable.


In my rush I didn’t take any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment