Saturday, April 20, 2019

Tue., April 16, 2019. Day 8/64. Calf Mountain Shelter. 38.0858N78.7856W. 7.7 miles. 4 hrs, 40 mins. 1.6 mph. 871.4 / 1,307.6 to go.

Today was the first day for me to try hiking after taking a break because of my knee. My knee still was a problem, but did pretty good. Only once while climbing up a steep grade did I have any pain. The rest of the time it was sore, but didn’t have the pain I had last week.

Thanks to my medical advisors, Linda, Cambria, And Josh I believe my knee has improved and will completely recover.

I bought some trekking poles. They have been very beneficial. I can tell they take a lot of pressure off my knee. I also am using an elastic brace on my knee.  I am taking an Avele every 12 hours. I am also doing some stretches each morning and evening on both legs. My hope is within a month it will be back to 100% performance.

I got a good start, but quickly ran into an obstacle. As I entered Shenandoa National Park, SNP, I was required to have a permit. The self registration stand on the trail had been destroyed by a fallen tree. There was a sign telling me to go back and down the road to the entrance station, 3.5 miles. No way! The road and station was closed because the road had been blocked from a major ice storm that had occurred during the winter. I didn’t want to go back. I never want to go backwards. From my GPS app I was able to determine that the trail stayed close to the road and I might see it. It showed on the map, so I would know when I was straight off from it and could climb through the forest to go get the dang permit which was required. See picture. To make a long story short, I found the station, climbed down, found the permit, and got it. A couple days latter I came a gross a Ridge Runner, who is like a ranger for the trail. I was excited to show my permit after the work I went through to get it. She didn’t even want to see it. After all of that work I was deflated. I told her so.😢

Here are three new names I met:  Sideshow Bob. Danger Bob and T-Bird who are brothers from the Chicago area. They are staying at the shelter. T-Bird is having right leg problems. Think it is shin sprints.

PICTURES:  1. Quality Inn in Waynesboro, VA. Okay, but needs remodeling.
2. Entrance Stanton and hill I hiked down for permit.
3. Locking back at Waynesboro, VA. From AT.
4. Calf Mountain shelter.
5. Privy at Calf Mountain Shelter.







No comments:

Post a Comment