Sunday, April 28, 2019

Sun., April 21, 2019. Day 13/69. Big Meadow Campground. 38.5289N78.4386W. 17.0 miles. 7 hrs, 35 mins. 2.2 mph. 926.2 / 1,265.8 to go.

I had a great day hiking. I was going to stop at about 8 miles, but decided at Lewis Campground to go on rather than waste the rest of the day. That puts me ahead by one day to meet up with the Coxs.

I arrived at Lewis Campground at 12:35 pm. I did 8.2 miles in 3 hrs. 25 mins. 2.4 mph. Good speed for me.

Danger Boy and T-Bird, who I met a couple days ago stayed at the Country View Motel in Elkton. We started hiking together. They are two sharp looking brothers. Very friendly. T-Bird is quieter than his brother. The driver from the motel gave me a ride first. At the gate to the park the tenet required I pay a $15 entrance fee. I told her I wasn’t required to pay the fee as I was a thru hiker. She insisted, so I had to pay. I was very unhappy about that. I gave my receipt to the driver, which was also a re-entry pass, to give to the brothers. When he brought them the tenant let one of them get through on my pass, even though she knew it was mine. She was one dedicated solder and didn’t care what was correct, only that she was going to get her fee.

While on the trail I met No Service and No Name at Lewis Campground. No Name went home from the camp. He was having problems with his feet. He had the problem before and the doctor had told him to stop if it flared up again. I camped the next two nights with No Service. He is a very fast hiker.

I also met Wow at Lewis Campground. He is from Tasmania. He has hiked part of the PCT with his wife. He did an article for National Geographic. While videoing he would ask his men, do you have any “Words of Wisdom?”. They gave him the name of WOW - Words of 
Wisdom.

I camped with No Service and Wow at the Big Meadows Campground. It cost $20 which I paid. I was the first there. Both offered to pay, but I said no. It was a good campground in the SNP.

Pictures:

  1. Me at Big Meadow restroom.
  2. No Service and Wow at our Big Meadow Campground in SNP.
  3. Me and my tent.






No comments:

Post a Comment