Saturday, April 20, 2019

Thur., April 18, 2019. Day 10/66. Pinefield Shelter. 38.2905N78.6456W. 13.2 miles. 7 hrs, 00 mins. 1.9 mph. 897.6 / 1,294.4 to go.

A very good day. My left knee didn’t have any pain. About 3 1/2 hours my left knee got stiff. At noon I stopped for 20 minutes. I took off my pack and ate lunch. My left knee loosened up and stayed loose the rest of the day. My right foot toes are hurting. It doesn’t feel like my toes are smashing the front of my shoes. It feels like they aren’t getting enough blood. I will figure them out and solve the problem.

There are 5 others at the shelter tonight. 

Four Eyes, She is the Ridge-Runner. That means she takes care of the AT trail in Shenandoa. There is 102 miles in SNP. She has hiked the Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail. She has a doctor degree in Physics. She is very friendly and knowledgeable. She does strongly believe that our wilderness are in real danger from the global warming.

The forecast for tomorrow’s thunderstorms in the afternoon. Everyone in the shelter is planning to get up at 5 am and get on the trail at light which occurs at 6:15 am.


I also met Tin Man and Uinys. She worked at Ohio State. She has a Doctors degree. Her last position was over the universities development. Very impressive person. She has hiked many different trails including Daniel Boone and the Florida trail. It is interesting to listen to the experiences of the other hikers.

PICTURES:  
  1. In one section there was a lot of blown down from the ice storm they had this last winter.
  2. Deer. Not scared at all.
  3. Big white tail. Very pretty when they run and it sticks high in the air.
  4. Trail through small pines.
  5. Stream crossing.
  6. Celeste, Four Eyes, who is the Ridge Runner.
  7. Pinefield Shelter with me in picture. Couple just starting to hike. FouEyes, and Tin Man.





No comments:

Post a Comment