Sunday, April 28, 2019

Tue., April 23, 2019. Day 15/71. Gravel Springs Shelter. 38.7640N78.2337W. 13.1 miles. 6 hrs, 10 mins. 2.1 mph. 958.1 / 1,233.9 to go.

This was the last shelter in SNP. Tomorrow I leave SNP. 

We had Breakfast at Elkwallow Wayside in SNP. Along with a breakfast sandwich I had a scoop of the SNP famous black berry ice cream. It was very good.

I split up with No Service and Wow. They went further. I had no reason to go as far as I was meeting up with the Coxs the next day. 

When I got to the shelter there were 4 ladies there. They were taking a lunch break and had their shoes off. I thought they were staying because it was 2 pm. I was impressed with them. They had large packs and good equipment. They appeared to know what they were doing and enjoying it. I have been impressed with the number of women on the trail. All without men. Very impressive to me.

This shelter had the best looking stream coming right of the mountain. It probably didn’t need filtering, but of course I filtered. See the picture below of where it is coming out and the amount. Amazing what Mother Nature does.

Captain America was also at the shelter for the night. He is about my age, maybe a little younger. He went to bed at about 7:30. I went to bed at about 8:00 pm. He snored so loud that I had to wake him. He offered me some ear plugs, which I accepted. After that he didn’t snore as much. I think he just needed to be rolled over.

At about 5 pm a large and younger group of thru hikers started to arrive in camp. It was a pre bubble group. College age. They are doing about 25 miles a day. Today they did 29. Impressive. Most slept in tents. Only two slept in the shelter. I think we, Captain America and I drove them away. There were also about five other small groups there. It reminded me of my last hike with the bubble. To many people. The younger group didn’t stay up to late. 
They were serious about covering the miles. They got up at sun light and were on their way before me. I wish I had the strength and energy they have. They were a good group and respectful. The shelter area was over crowded though.

Rip was an individual hiker and not part of the group. About 40 years old. He was south bound. He was trim and looked like he was ready to hike. He is section hiking.

Pictures:
1. Still waiting for the leaves.
2. Water at the shelter. Note it comes right of the mountain in the picture, the green area. Also note how much the flow is.







No comments:

Post a Comment