Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Wed., April 24, 2019. Day 16/72. Jim and Molly Denton Shelter. 38.8900N78.0829W. 18.6 miles. 8 hrs, 5 mins. 2.3 mph. 976.7 / 1,215.3 to go.

I left Shenandoah National Park today. 

This was the best shelter I have stayed at, or seen. It had a large deck with a large lounge bench. It had a separate eating bourse. It had a solar shower. Plus a separate fire pit.

I arrived before anyone else. I took a shower. It was cold, no solar warm water. It had a hose hanging down with a garden spray on the end. I didn’t get a picture of the inside. I rinsed my hair and used a wet cloth to was the rest of my body, and then quickly rinse off. It felt great. I also rinsed all of my clothes. I had clean underwear, socks, and clothes to put on while the others dried. It was another wonderful, interesting experiences on the AT.

I fell today. My trekking pole got stuck in some mud. As I pulled it out my left foot stuck which caused me to fall. I fell on my pole and creased it. Still works. Not sure if it will slide together. I am using my poles less than half the time. They are helpful for steep uphill and downhill. Helps me climb faster by helping me stay more erect. Other than that I am carrying them because they slow me down. I am still sold on them for helping my knee and stability.

Big day of 18.6 miles. Tough on feet, but rest of body doing good. My feet were very sore. They should not be that sore. The boots I bought were advertised as the perfect hiking boot. I have decided I do not have the perfect hiking feet.

As I was hiking I noticed that my pack was rubbing on my hips. Something new. I pulled up my pants and buckled my pack belt under my waist belt. It worked. No more problems with my back pack rubbing on my hips. It seems like every day a new pain or problem has to be addressed. Hopefully soon I will get them all figured out and will just have to hike. Get more into the swing of just hiking and thinking. No interruptions.

Pictures:


  1. Tree in blossom. Sorry, I do not know the name.
  2. Denton Shelter and eating pavilion.
  3. Shower. So refreshing. Plus clothes drying.






No comments:

Post a Comment