Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Mon., April 29, 2019. Day 21/77. David Lesser Memorial Shelter. 39.2271N77.7786W. 10.6 miles. 5 hrs, 15 mins. 2.0 mph. 1,016.2 / 1,175.8 to go.

Another good day.

The Coxs hiked with me for the first part of the day. It was very enjoyable to have them hike with me. They have been great hosts over the weekend. It was hard to leave the comforts of their home.

I passed the Virginia / West Virginia States line today. Leaving Virginia is a major accomplishment because it has more AT in it than any other state.

I also hiked pass 200 miles since I started hiking this year. I feel like I am on my way now to hike the entire trail. It did take me three weeks to do it though. Pretty slow. I am not concerned about it because I had four zero days in those three weeks. As I am getting back in the rhythm My weekly miles will increase.

I got in the shelter early. The water was 1/4 mile away down a steep trail. It was a good spring. The water tasted very good and refreshing. Though it was a tough, no trail miles.

I met Faircaster at the shelter. He is a through hiker. He started Feb 28. He plans to finish on his birthday of July 28. He says he will have to slow down, but for now he wants to get ahead. He is doing about 25 miles a day.

I met:

RD - Residential Dad. He is younger and people do not like calling him dad.
Farmer. Retired from special forces and bought a farm. 
Vagabond Jack. Met him before, had forgot the Vagabond part of his name.
A couple with a dog Denali. Great dog. Very fit.

Pictures:

1.  Hiking with Coxs.
2.  AT surveyor marker.
3.  Blane and me ready to conquer the wilderness.
4.  State line.
5. Very rocky and rough trail.
6 & 7. Flowers.

8 - 10. David Lesser Shelter.























No comments:

Post a Comment